- We achieve a new record by opening 13 new supermarkets across Africa in the last week of October – 10 in a single day!
- Shoprite Holdings maintains its ranking as the largest retailer in Africa and the Middle East in the Deloitte’s Global Powers of Retailing survey. The Group is named the 107th largest retailer in the world, 41 paces ahead of our nearest rival.
- The Group ups the stakes in sustainable retailing as Checkers introduces the first plastic shopping bag in South Africa, produced from 100% recycled material.
- We create a record 9 201 job opportunities during the year, emphasising our sustainable approach when it comes to the communities we serve.
- Shoprite Holdings is ranked 11th in the 2013 SA Giants list in Financial Mail’s Top Companies, while Deloitte’s Global Powers of Retailing survey names us the largest retailer in Africa and the 93rd biggest in the world.
- In April, the Group becomes the first South African retailer to enter the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) with a new, world-class supermarket in Gombe, Kinshasa. The Group withdraws from the DRC at the end of 2022.
- The Group moves up another three places in the Global Powers of Retailing list, to 92nd, while firmly maintaining its firstplace ranking in Africa and the Middle East.
- In March, the Group acquires the franchise division of Metcash Trading Africa (Pty) Ltd which includes trade names such as Friendly Grocer, 7-Eleven and Price Club Discount Supermarket. These 150 members are integrated into the Group’s OK Franchise Division, further expanding our retail footprint, growing the Group to 1 247 stores and 95 000 employees.
- The Group enters the hospitality and catering markets with the establishment of Checkers Food Services (CFS) – formerly known as Shoprite Food Services – a business-to-business brand delivering quality products at the lowest prices to the hospitality and catering industry.
- Shoprite Holdings increases its global ranking to 95th (from 130th in the previous year) in Deloitte’s Global Powers of Retailing Survey.