Shoprite is Africa’s largest fast-moving consumer goods retailer. Our purpose is to be Africa’s most affordable, accessible and innovative retailer and our customers are at the heart of what we do – the reason for our business.
To achieve what we set out to do, we stay focused on:
Our values are deeply rooted in our long history and come to life in our actions and the way we do business.
DOING THE RIGHT THING:
excellence, integrity and care
• Put our customers first. We do this through excellent service. Our employees are empowered to make sure our customers leave our stores happy.
• Act with integrity. We strive to treat everyone with respect. We are accountable for our actions and we behave in an ethical way to build trust with our stakeholders.
• Make a difference beyond our own doors. Through job creation, affordable products, hunger relief and other programmes, we work to create shared value for our communities.
SAVING TO SHARE:
efficiency and commitment
• Relentlessly focus on keeping costs low and aim to become more efficient. We know where and how every rand is spent. Our business and operational processes are set up to manage the use of resources by reducing waste and minimising harm to the natural environment.
• Help where we can. We have a specific focus on food security. When we have surplus food or resources, we distribute them to people in need.
growth, opportunity and transformation
• Invest in our people. We aim to transform our business, develop our people’s careers and promote from within. We believe if we invest in our people, they will invest in us.
• Create opportunities. We support local and small suppliers through our scale and effective supply chains, giving them access to our markets where we can, helping them to grow and thrive.
• Embrace economic transformation. We continue to create jobs, develop skills and careers, source locally and contribute to social upliftment through our tax contributions and local community development.