This Valentine’s Day, 75% of the roses for sale in Checkers supermarkets are sourced locally from farms in Mpumalanga and Free State.
Due to the budding growth of Flower Co. – a department within Freshmark, the Shoprite Group’s procurement and distribution arm for fresh fruit, vegetables and flowers – the retailer is now procuring roses from farms in Delmas and Bothaville, where two of the only six large-scale rose farms in the country are located.
Sourcing locally means fresher flowers that last longer and, importantly, is a boost to local community economies, providing employment in the region.
“Flower sales at Checkers grew over 30% in the last financial year. Over the past three years, our team worked hard to establish the department which now produces significant volumes to meet customer demands.”
- Witchious Conradie, Regional Trading Manager at Freshmark
About 95% of the flowers for sale in Checkers supermarkets are produced via its two facilities – one in Gauteng and the other in the Western Cape – including a diverse and affordable arrangement of roses for Valentine’s Day:
- Red & White Rose Bouquet (R99.99): This beautiful red and white rose mix is sure to impress your loved one. Also available on Checkers Sixty60, delivery within 1 hour.
- Red Rose & Baby’s Breath Flower Bouquet (R149.99): Whether you are trying to sweep someone off their feet or merely to liven up your living room, these stunning roses are the perfect way to ensure a smile. Available until the 14th of February.
- Pink Valentine Bouquet (R179.99): Everybody enjoys receiving a beautiful bunch of flowers. This gorgeous bouquet caters to everyone’s taste and style.
- Valentine’s Fifty Red Roses Bouquet (R799.00): For that special person who is always on your mind and in your heart, this massive bouquet of fresh, deep red roses is perfect to seal the deal on your undying love.
- Two-Tone Flame Rose Bouquet (R119.99): These two-tone flame roses have a vibrant orange colour with two tone petals.
A limited range of bouquets is also available on Checkers Sixty60, making it super easy for customers to have fresh-cut flowers delivered within 60 minutes.