Nov 12, 2020
Checkers continues to expand its range of vegan products to cater for an increasing number of customers who are choosing to follow a plant-based or flexitarian lifestyle.
The Financial Times reported that Covid-19 was reshaping the food market, with US sales of plant-based meat growing nearly 280% in March, while recent research indicated that the global plant-based meats market will grow 17% by 2021 due to the health benefits perceived by consumers during the pandemic.
As more and more South Africans have become interested in increasing their intake of plant-based products or going vegan, Checkers has focused on providing an affordable range of top quality products for its customers, many of which are available in cheaper private label ranges.
Checkers’ extensive range of everyday vegan products include:
- Inexpensive non-perishable pantry staples such as canned lentils, chickpeas, coconut milk, beans and tomatoes
- Grains, pasta, beans and legumes (such as brown rice, quinoa, bulgar wheat, oats, etc.)
- Dried fruits, nuts and seeds
- Flavours, herbs and spices (including vegetable stock)
- Coconut oil
- Fresh / frozen fruits and vegetables
- Dairy-free cheese
- Vegan condiments (such a mayo, chipotle sauce, tomato sauce, etc.)
- Milk alternatives
- Meat alternatives (including tofu at selected stores)
These options, in addition to Checkers’ well-known and exclusive Simple Truth and Linda McCartney ranges, ensure that Checkers customers can enjoy a vegan lifestyle that is affordable, convenient and accessible.
Checkers has more than 90 vegan products in its popular Simple Truth range which includes convenience meals, breakfast staples (such as cereal, muesli and almond milk), snacks (seed crackers, dried fruit rolls and date balls) and pantry essentials (apple cider vinegar, peanut butter, mayonnaise and vegan noodles).
Simple Truth includes vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free, raw, organic, reduced sugar, high protein as well as eco-friendly options.
Linda McCartney Foods is a gourmet range of flavoursome vegan and vegetarian meat alternatives including red onion & rosemary sausages and succulent burger patties.
- Willie Peters, General Manager: Marketing at Checkers