Nov 6, 2019
- Checkers was the first food retailer in South Africa to introduce Black Friday in 2014.
- Xtra saving members will be the first to know what Black Friday deals are on offer at Checkers this year.
- At the Shoprite Group, planning for Black Friday starts 6 months in advance.
- In 2018 Shoprite, Checkers and Checkers Hyper served 125 customers per second.
- This year, the over 1 000 Shoprite, Checkers and Checkers Hyper stores in South Africa, will ensure a satisfying shopping experience with ample staff and extended Black Friday trading hours.
Checkers is the most experienced South African supermarket in the Black Friday game, after being the first food retailer to introduce this one-day sales promotion in South Africa in 2014.
Africa’s largest retailer is gearing up for its 6th Black Friday sales bonanza on Friday, 29 November 2019 when both Shoprite and Checkers customers will be able to stock up for the fast-approaching holiday period with massive discounts on various grocery and household essentials.
- Willie Peters, General Manager: Marketing at Shoprite and Checkers
With over 1 000 Shoprite, Checkers and Checkers Hyper stores across South Africa, the retail giant will be sufficiently staffed and offer extended Black Friday trading hours to ensure a satisfying shopping experience for its customers.
This year members of the newly launched Xtra Savings rewards programme will be the first to receive advance notifications of the incredible Black Friday deals on offer at Checkers.
A total of two million customers have signed up for Xtra Savings in just 20 days following the launch of the rewards programme in mid-October.
Shoppers still have time to join Xtra Savings ahead of this year’s Black Friday and can do so free of charge, and in less than 3 minutes, using a number of paperless channels. Xtra Savings members also stand a chance to win their Black Friday shopping for free.
Sales records and favourites from 2018
Last year, Shoprite, Checkers and Checkers Hyper stores served 125 customers per second on Black Friday in 2018. Some of the mega-deals offered in 2018 included a 50% saving on OMO washing powder and 40% off items such as Jacobs instant coffee, Weetbix and Ultramel custard.
On Black Friday 2018 the retailer sold:
Enough Jacobs instant coffee to make 7.7 million cups of coffee;
Enough Ultramel custard to make trifle for more than two million people.