May 18, 2016
Whisky is one of the fastest growing alcohol categories in the world, with the increased demand for premium whisky continuing to propel the global market. South Africans have in the last decade cottoned on to this trend, with whisky now the leading spirit sold in the country and more and more consumers looking to try a dram and celebrate the water of life!
Enjoyed neat, with water, in a cocktail, or however you prefer to drink it, whisky is a stylish spirit that will be celebrated across the globe come World Whisky Day on 21 May 2016. In anticipation of this special day, The House of Fine Whisky at Checkers LiquorShop will be offering 20% off all single malt whiskies from Thursday, 19 May to Sunday, 21 May 2016.
In addition, two of the finest and rarest Scotch Whiskies from independent Scottish Distiller, the Loch Lomond Group called Loch Lomond and Glen Scotia are now exclusively available from The House of Fine Whisky at Checkers LiquorShop, for the first time in South Africa.
Launched during a Whisky and food pairing event held in Johannesburg, attendees were treated to an authentic Scottish experience hosted by Loch Lomond Master Distiller Bill White, as well as the culinary expertise of Chef Sasha Sonnenberg Simpson.
Nestled on the boundary between the Lowlands and Highlands of Scotland, the Loch Lomond Distillery has a heritage that spans over 200 years, dating back to 1814. Today, some of the finest single malt expressions and quality whisky blends come from the Loch Lomond Group, each an excellent example of its region, history and style. The Loch Lomond Group also owns the Glen Scotia distillery in Campbeltown, once known as the “whisky capital of the world”. Founded in 1832, Glen Scotia has been distilling on the same site producing a distinctive Campbeltown style of single malt renowned for its sea spray and vanilla oak.
Bill White states proudly: “Our unique combination of three different styles of malt stills along with our Grain still, together with our on-site cooperage, repairing and re-charring approximately 10,000 barrels every year, ensures we produce some of the finest quality single malts, blends and single grain whiskies in the world.”
Now you don’t have to take his word for it, you can savour the spirit of some of Scotland’s finest whiskies, exclusively available from Checkers LiquorShop.
The range includes Loch Lomond’s Original Single Malt, Signature Deluxe Blend, Reserve and Single Grain as well as the Glen Scotia 15 Year Old Single Malt, Double Cask Single Malt, Victoriana Single Malt and the High Commissioner Blend whiskies, all available exclusively at Checkers LiquorShop.
Click here for more information or join the conversation on Twitter: @CheckersSA #CheckersWWD and #WorldWhiskyDay
Scotch whisky is by definition made in Scotland and can only be produced in Scotland. Whisky produced elsewhere cannot be called Scotch, as it is protected by an origin appellation, meaning that in order for the whisky to qualify the product must be distilled, matured and bottled in Scotland.
More about The House of Fine Whisky
The House of Fine Whisky at Checkers LiquorShop offers the finest range of local and international whiskies available at supermarket prices giving consumer’s unrivalled access to top brands.
The collection includes premium blends as well as single malt whisky sourced from Scotland, Ireland, America and South Africa – including local award winners Bain’s Mountain Whisky and Three Ships 5-Year-Old. Imported favourites include 10-year-old Talisker, Jameson, 16-year-old Lagavulin, the newly launched Loch Lomond and Glen Scotia ranges, as well as other premium offerings.
• Loch Lomond Single Grain is carefully matured using only the finest malted barley. Distilled in our coffey still, this single grain is smooth and sweet with added complexity not usually found in a single grain.
• Loch Lomond Reserve – This unique premium blended Scotch whisky contains both malt and grain whisky distilled at the Loch Lomond distillery. Each barrel is selected for its character and maturity, then expertly blended to create a well-balanced whisky that delivers a perfectly smooth finish.
• Loch Lomond Signature is a deluxe blended whisky containing the best Scotland has to offer- malt and grain whiskies and the purest water distilled at Loch Lomond and matured in the finest first fill oak casks. After a long and slow maturation, the whisky is then married and conditioned to the Distillers 100 cask Solera to create increased smoothness.
• Loch Lomond Original Single Malt is carefully matured, before being married in the finest oak casks for the perfect harmony of flavour and aroma. The result is an elegant and full-bodied whisky with a smoothness making this exceptionally easy to drink. A single malt whisky with a distinctive background character, with a hint of smoke and peat.
• Glen Scotia Double Cask is classic Campbeltown malt with a formidable pedigree. The whisky is finished in a combination of first fill bourbon barrels followed by time in Pedro Ximenez sherry casks to produce an outstanding malt whisky that provides the perfect balance of rich spicy fruits overlaid with the characteristic sea spray and vanilla oak finish of the house of Glen Scotia.
• Glen Scotia 15 Year Old has been gently matured for a minimum of 15 years in the finest American oak barrels before bottling. The signature nose has hints of vanilla oak, interwoven with the subtle notes of sea spray and spicy aromatic fruits.
• Glen Scotia Victoriana is hand selected from Glen Scotia’s reserve cellar by its master blender, replicating traditional Victorian values. Each cask is chosen for its rare character and exceptional maturity. Finished in deep charred oak, the result is an exceptionally smooth single malt whisky where aroma and flavour work in harmony. Bottled in the traditional way straight from the cask without filtration, its subtle wood and vanilla flavour is enhanced by a full bodied spicy fruit aroma and mildly smokey aftertaste.
• High Commissioner is a blend selected from our finest grain and malt whiskies; High Commissioner has flavours of soft fruits, peach, pear and chewy caramel. Sweet and fruity with notes of malted barley, overlaid with a touch of peat. Well balanced and complex with a long smooth warming finish.