Jun 1, 2013
Will you spend each day of the coming winter months fighting the icy cold against your skin and battling a pain of hunger that envelops your whole body? Most of us will not be faced with this disheartening prospect, but many others will once again have to face the harsh weather without a roof over their heads, without a snug coat against the frosty wind, and with no food to provide nourishment and warmth.
That is why Checkers and Shoprite have teamed up with radio stations and charity organizations in each province for winter collection campaigns that encourage customers to open their hearts and wrap those in need up in warmth, love and hope this winter.
Checkers, Checkers Hyper and Shoprite stores have made their Golden Trolleys available as collection points for the essential items asked for in each campaign.
• In the Eastern Cape, Checkers and Shoprite have joined forces with Kingfisher FM and The Salvation Army with a request to donate new blankets and non-perishable food items from 1 June – 31 July 2013.
• In Gauteng, Checkers and Shoprite are collaborating with East Rand Stereo and appeal for the donation of new blankets and non-perishable food. The stores will be supporting the radio station’s “Be an Angel Network” and items can be donated from 1 – 30 June 2013, where after items will be distributed throughout the province.
• Checkers and Shoprite stores in the North West, Mpumalanga and Limpopo have joined forces with Radio Rippel 90.5fm with a request for new blankets and non-perishable food. All items collected will be distributed by Solidarity Helping Hands. Donations are requested from 1 – 30 June 2013.
• In KwaZulu-Natal, Checkers and Shoprite will be working with two radio stations, Lotus FM and Ukhozi FM, to collect new blankets from 1 June – 12 July 2013 and will be distributed through the South African Red Cross Society.
• In the Northern Cape and Free State, Checkers and Shoprite in conjunction with Volksblad urge the public to donate blankets and clothes from 1 – 30 June 2013. Items collected will be donated to Free State Residential Care, who will distribute the items throughout the two provinces.
• In the Western Cape, Checkers and Shoprite are working with Radio Tygerberg in a bid to collect as many new blankets as possible as protection against the bitter cold of winter from 1 June – 31 July 2013. The blankets will go to Shiloh Synergy, who will distribute the blankets to needy communities in the province. Shiloh Synergy is a group of projects, committed to the holistic upliftment of underprivileged communities in the Western Cape.
The public is urged to contribute to these worthy causes by donating the required goods at Checkers, Checkers Hyper and Shoprite stores in the relevant province starting 1 June 2013. The Golden Trolleys are located at the entrance of the stores. Join our caring community by donating today.