Jun 1, 2011
Will you spend each day of the coming winter months fighting the icy cold against your skin and battling a pain of hunger that envelops your whole body?
Most of us will not be faced with this disheartening prospect, but many others will once again have to face the harsh weather without a roof over their heads, without a snug coat against the frosty wind, and with no food to provide nourishment and warmth.
That is why Shoprite and Checkers have teamed up with radio stations and charity organizations in each province for winter collection campaigns that encourage customers to open their hearts and wrap those in need up in warmth, love and hope this winter.
Shoprite and Checkers have made their Golden Trolleys available as collection points for the essential items asked for in each campaign.
- In the Eastern Cape, Shoprite and Checkers have joined forces with Kingfisher FM and The Salvation Army with a request to donate new blankets and non-perishable food items.
- In Gauteng and the North West Province Shoprite and Checkers is collaborating with East Rand Stereo and Radio Rippel 90.5fm with an appeal for the donation of new blankets and non-perishable food. Those stores that collect for East Rand Stereo will be supporting the radio station’s “Be an Angel Network”, while items collected at the other stores in these areas will be distributed throughout the provinces by the SA Red Cross.
- Shoprite and Checkers stores in Mpumalanga and Limpopo have joined forces with Jakaranda RMFM with a request for new blankets and non-perishable food. All items collected will be distributed by the Jacaranda RMFM Cares project.
- In KwaZulu-Natal, Shoprite and Checkers will be working with the NOAH (Nurturing Orphans of Aids for Humanity) organization to collect new blankets and non-perishable food items.
- In the Northern Cape and Free State, Shoprite and Checkers in conjunction with Volksblad urge the public to donate blankets and clothes. Items collected will be donated to Child Welfare Bloemfontein and Child Line Free State who will distribute the items throughout the two provinces.
- In the Western Cape, Shoprite and Checkers are working with Radio Tygerberg and Eden FM in a bid to collect as many new blankets as possible as protection against the bitter cold of winter. The blankets will go to the Badisa charity organization and the Salvation Army who will distribute the blankets to needy communities in the province.
The public is urged to contribute to these worthy causes by donating the required goods at Shoprite, Checkers or Checkers Hyper stores in the relevant province during June 2011. The Golden Trolleys are located at the entrance of the stores.
Join our caring community by donating today.