Oct 1, 2007
Ten provincial winners in this year’s Shoprite Checkers Championship Boerewors competition will be travelling to Sun City in North West soon, for the much anticipated grand finale of the country’s premier Boerewors braai event! The finalists will meet at the Valley of Waves on 6 October, and the winner will drive away with a brand new vehicle and the much sought after 2007 Boerewors crown!
The competition has proven to be as popular as ever this year, with entries up almost ten percent. More than a thousand of the country’s best Boerewors makers have been locking horns and braai-thongs since July, competing in more than 80 regional rounds country-wide, before the ten best recipes were selected during the various provincial clashes on 15 September.
The ten finalists for the Sun City Grand Finale are:
• Western Cape – Veronica Jacobs, a Meat Market manager from Landsdowne, Cape Town.
• Gauteng (two finalists) – Lillian Molotsi, a Meat Market manager from Ennerdale, Johannesburg; Hannes Nel, a transport executive from Boksburg.
• Eastern Cape – John Miller, a call centre operator from Port Elizabeth.
• Northern Cape – Elizabeth Lesley, a housewife from Kuruman.
• North West – Pieter Jooste, a retired grain-farmer from Coligny.
• Limpopo – Louisa Penzhorn, a qualified meat technician from Thabazimbi.
• Mpumalanga – Elna Maritz, a general shop assistant from Belfast.
• Free State – Sakkie Schutte, owner of a butchery in Welkom.
• KwaZulu Natal – Jeffrey Soobramoney, a Meat Market manager from Phoenix.
Shoprite Checkers marketing manager, Brian Weyers, says the competition has once again proved the popularity of South African Boerewors. “The Shoprite Checkers Championship Boerewors Competition is still the country’s premier Boerewors braai event. Boerewors of outstanding quality was once again produced, ensuring a unique and exceptional winning recipe.”
Top food experts Martin Kobald, President of the SA Chefs Association, Carmen Niehaus, Justine Drake, Citrum Khumalo, Jenny Morris, Francois Ferreira, Pieter Veldsman, Dorah Sitole, Kevin Gibbs and Jeff Schueremans, will act as official judges during the finals at Sun City.
The 2007 Shoprite Checkers Championship Boerewors will receive the South African Chefs Association’s Seal of Approval, ensuring that South Africa’s best loved braaiwors is the best of the very best!
The country’s many loyal Championship Boerewors lovers can thus start preparing for yet another taste sensation, as the winning recipe will be on the shelves of all Meat Markets at Shoprite, Checkers and Checkers Hyper stores country-wide, on 17 October.
The 2007 Shoprite Checkers Championship Boerewors champion will win a brand-new Toyota Hilux 2.7 Double Cab Raised Body Raider. Loads of other prizes are also up for grabs.
For more information on the Championship Boerewors, including mouth-watering recipes, look out for the latest Consumer Leaflet.
It is available at the Consumer Centre at the entrance of all local Shoprite and Checkers stores. Electronic versions of the leaflets are also available on www.shoprite.co.za in the Customer Care Section.
For more information, please contact Danie Hefers at Mad Advertising – 021 4488853 or firstname.lastname@example.org.