20 August 2012:
The board has declared a final dividend of 194,0 (2011: 165,0 cents) per ordinary share, payable to shareholders on Monday, 17 September 2012. The dividend has been declared out of income reserves. This brings the total dividend for the year to 303,0 cents per ordinary share (2011: 253,0 cents). The last day to trade cum dividend will be Friday, 7 September 2012. As from Monday, 10 September 2012 all trading of Shoprite Holdings Ltd shares will take place ex dividend. The record date is Friday, 14 September 2012. Share certificates may not be dematerialised or rematerialized between Monday 10 September 2012, and Friday, 14 September 2012, both days inclusive.
In terms of the new Dividends Tax effective 1 April 2012, the following additional information is disclosed:
1. Local dividend tax rate is 15%.
2. There are no STC credits available.
3. Net local dividend amount is 164,9 cents per share for shareholders liable to pay Dividends Tax and 194,0 cents per share for shareholders exempt from paying Dividends Tax.
4. The issued share capital of Shoprite Holdings as at the date of this declaration is 570 579 460 ordinary shares; and
5. Shoprite Holdings’ tax reference number is 9775/112/71/8.